My phone is faster than my desktop.



It was a Wednesday morning when I was with my dad at the office. Dad had ordered a brand new Desktop PC with a Pentium-ii processor. The time when Pentium was thought to be the most important part in a computer.

At a blastin 233MHz it was supposed to do all the work thrown at it in a jiffy. But the cabinet was big. I liked the big box though as it reminded me of a starwars movie.

32MB of ram and 2gig of hard drive were also supposed to be part of a good configuration. The whole setup cost us something around 80,000 Rs.

The computer is now at home doing the duty at best for surfing the net, listening to music and some office work. The specification of the RAM, and hard drive have changed though.

Now why have I suddenly recalled this computer? The culprit is my new PDA. A Motorola E680i. I am just wondering how a 100times smaller PDA is faster than a desktop computer. An Intel xscale processor doing the duty at 300MHz is faster than the Intel Pentium-ii 233MHz


The memory available is again 2GB which is similar to the hard drive.
32MB of RAM and 50 MB of rom in such a small device is really a wonder. The pda performs anything from Mp3,radio,camera,video,movies,PDA, MS office,Internet,phone etc just like our old computer. The price? 4times less the price for a 100times smaller device.


what next? A pda that beats a supercomputer?

Comments

Popular Posts